I don’t know about you, but I love a good comfort food meal. My philosophy has always been everything in moderation, and that has worked well for me. But, if I can make a great dish healthy and still have it taste fantastic… I’m all in. This is a lighter version of chicken and biscuits and it is truly delicious! It comes together in under an hour! While the biscuits bake, the stew comes together in about 15 minutes. This recipe is adapted from Everyday Food Magazine.
Mix your dry ingredients and set aside (check the recipe below b/c both the biscuits and the stew use flour)
Next, mix your egg whites, oil and milk (again, check the recipe below)
Add to your flour mixture, and stir just until moistened. Drop 1/4 cups full onto a baking sheet and put them in the oven for about 12-14 minutes.
While the biscuits are baking, start the stew.
Heat the remaining oil in a dutch oven and sauté the veggies, salt and pepper until tender.
Sprinkle the veggies with flour and stir in the remaining milk, water and thyme
Simmer until it’s thickened, then add the chicken and simmer until it’s cooked through.
Serve the stew with the biscuits and say Mmmmm!
Chicken and Biscuits Done LightPrint Pin Rate
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large egg white
- 6 tbs plus 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 cup low fat milk
- 10 carrots thinly slied
- 10 celery stalks thinky sliced
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450. Whisk together the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites, 6 tbs oil and 1/2 cup of milk. Add to flour mixture until moistened. Drop 1/4 cup scoops of dough onto a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, 12-14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 5 quart Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently until vegetables are tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle vegetables with remaining flour. Stir in remaining milk, 1 cup water, and thyme. Simmer until liquid is thickened, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, simmer until cooked through. Serve chicken stew with biscuits.