With Spring approaching, the cravings are changing from comfort food to lighter fare. Fennel orange salad is just the thing you need to satisfy that craving. It’s healthy and the blend of fennel and orange is a touch of sweet to add with the veggies and chicken.
Fennel Orange Salad
Salads are so very versatile, which is why I love them. You can power pack them with veggies, you can add grain, you can add fruit. Just the colors make me happy and makes me want to eat them. They’re the perfect addition to any meal.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I think what makes this salad stand out is the fennel. It’s also known as Anise. Have you tried it? It has a mild licorice flavor and a crunchy texture when it’s raw. (If you’re new to fennel, check out this post)
Because fennel has such a unique flavor, this salad is kept simple. Very few ingredients but fabulous flavor. It blends well with the oranges. Add grilled chicken and you have a complete meal!
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Kitchen Express by Mark Bittman. As the title portrays, the recipes are quick to make. Great for easy weeknight meals. It’s categorized into seasons, I love that.
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- orange zest
- blood oranges (other oranges work well too)
- Romaine lettuce
- Chicken breast
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the oil, vinegar orange zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the fennel, lettuce and peeled orange segments. Toss it to combine.
- To serve, place salad on a plate and top with a sliced grilled chicken breast.
Fennel orange salad can easily be made for 1 or more. Serve it as a side without the chicken, or as a meal with the chicken.
It’s also wonderful for making ahead and taking as lunches. Just leave the dressing on the side if you go that route.
If you like to change up your chicken recipes, check out this Coffee & Paprika rubbed chicken.
Looking for more salads?
Fennel blood orange salad with grilled chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for brusing the chicken
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- zest of one blood orange
- 2 blood oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken until cooked through, let rest for 10 minutes and slice.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, orange zest, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Add romaine and fennel and toss to coat.
- Divide onto four plates and top with orange sections and 1 piece of sliced grilled chicken.