Are you sick of the same old lunch routine? Why not change it up with this easy pea pesto crostini? You’ve got all your food groups right here in this flavorful dish! Grains, veggies, dairy and protein. Okay, no fruit… guess you’ll have to add that one on the side. 😉
Pea Pesto Crostini
Pesto is one of my all time favorites. I absolutely LOVE to grow basil and whip up a bunch of pesto for the freezer to enjoy all year. But this pesto has the addition of sweet peas. It adds a springy flare to it. Plus, topped with the egg, it’s a winning combination.
It’s really quite easy to make the pea pesto crostini. And won’t this be such a welcome change to the usual lunch routine?
What you need~
- olive oil
- frozen peas, thawed
- fresh basil leaves
- parmesan cheese
- pine nuts
- hard boiled eggs
- french bread
What to do~
- Blend the oil, peas, basil, garlic, cheese and nuts together on high until very well blended. I like my Vitamix, but a food processor or blender will work too.
- brush the bread with olive oil on both sides. Place under the broiler until toasted.
- Top bread with pesto and sliced hard boiled eggs.
Wasn’t that easy? This also makes a fantastic appetizer, snack, or addition to Easter Brunch or even a Mother’s Day brunch.
- top the pea pesto crostini with tomato instead of eggs
- use the pea pesto on top of pasta
- Skip the tomato sauce on pizza and use pea pesto instead
- Add some to your pasta sauce to boost the flavor and sneak some veggies in.
I think your bread would be so happy to be smothered in pea pesto! 🙂 Enjoy!
Pea Pesto Crostini
- 1/3 cup olive oil + 2 tbs
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 loaf french bread baguette
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, basil, peas, garlic, cheese and pine nuts into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until combined well.
- Slice the bread on the diagonal and brush both sides of it with the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil.
- Place the bread under the broiler to toast it. This should only take a few minutes.
- Top the bread with the pea pesto and sliced eggs, serve immediately.
- I use my Vitamix to make the pesto, it works great, but a blender or food processor will work too.
- If you don’t want to use pine nuts, you can use walnuts. Both can be found on amazon or at your local store. Pine Nuts Walnuts
Looking for more great lunches?