Aspen Power Bars
It’s time for another Secret Recipe Club post. Each month I am assigned a blog, where I get to choose a recipe from that blog to cook and blog about it on my blog. And, someone else is assigned my blog to do the same. It’s really fun, and I find tons of awesome food blogs. This month I was assigned Allies Clean Plate Club, and I chose Aspen Power Bars.
Allison is a fellow Midwest girl, originally from Illinois and now in the craziness of theWest Coast (her words). Although I’m not from Illinois, I’m just a few hours away in Michigan.
Well, it was truly difficult to choose a recipe! She has so many recipes that I’d love to try. But, after much deliberation, I finally decided on these Aspen Power Bars!
She had mentioned that the inspiration for these was a request from her cross training husband. That really drew me in because my husband is always training for something. So, I knew he would love these. Plus we are just granola eating people, I always make my own, so a granola bar was the perfect choice (see how to make granola here).
I made a couple changes and they are noted in the ingredients. Plus I added a couple Tbs of flaxseed meal, simply because it’s good for you.
The best thing about these, besides the taste of course, is they are ready in 30 minutes! That’s not a ton of time to invest to feed yourself something healthy! Aspen Power Bars are the perfect breakfast on the go or anytime snack.
Secret Recipe Club: Aspen Power Bars
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heaping 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup nuts or sunflower seeds I used 1/2 cup seeds and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup raisins I used dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon peanut butter--chunky is best I didn't have chunky, so I went with creamy
- 1 1/8 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, coconut, salt, nuts, seed, powdered milk, raisins and cranberries.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract and jam until melted and fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Pour the melted ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed (I found the easiest way was with my hands).
- Press the mixture into the pan, compressing it as much as possible.
- Bake until golden, about 12-19 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, loosen edges with a butter knife, invert the pan to release, then cut into bars.
Want more wholesome snacks?