Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
It’s that time again, time for another Secret Recipe Club post! It’s always so much fun browsing my assigned blog to find a fabulous recipe to make. It’s also challenging as there are SO many great recipes to choose from! This month was no exception. I was privileged to have the blog My Catholic Kitchen.
Beautiful Veronica resides in Virginia, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know her through reading many of her posts. I can see her and I have alot in common. Be sure to visit her blog, you will be inspired.
I chose Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, and oh my are they delicious!! This truly is the perfect chocolate oatmeal cookie! My friend Keyti said they were the best chocolate cookies she ever had. I lost count of how many she ate, but obviously they were a hit. I thought they were perfect for that chocolate craving. Does anyone else get that or is it just me? 🙂 And just for the record, I don’t count how many I eat either! haha! My kids loved these too–of course, they love everything just about, and I’m grateful for it.
This chocolate cookie has proved to freeze well also! Sometimes, after everyone in the family has had 1, I’ll stash the rest in the freezer for
myself, a later time. When that chocolate craving sneaks up on me, I can just grab a cookie from the freezer, toss it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and it’s just as if I just baked it. Or, ya know, toss one in for my kids, ahem.
You know I’m an 80/20 kind of gal. I really do believe everything in moderation. At least, that is what has worked well for me. Before I share the recipe, here’s a couple changes I made–
- I used an additional 1/2 cup of flour to hold the cookies together better, mine were flattening out too much
- I used butter instead of shortening.
- I omitted the walnuts
Here you go, the perfect chocolate cookie:
SRC: Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Ghiradelli dark chocolate I used semi-sweet chips, just what I had
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the shortening and the two sugars together in a mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Next add your flour mixture, and mix until combined.
- Add the oats and again mix to combine.
- Fold in chocolate.
- Drop cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.