What you need:
Before you start, get all your veggies ready to go. It will make it a faster process to load them and serve them if you grate your cheese and cut your tomatoes, etc. ahead of time.
I used flour tortillas and fried them up myself. Oh my, they are so delicious!! You could also do this with corn tortillas if you prefer, or just buy some, then you can skip that step.
Heat oil in a large pan. There should be about a half inch or so of oil in the pan. If you aren’t sure when it’s ready, just sprinkle a drop of water in it, if it sizzles, it’s ready. I did 1 tortilla at a time. It will puff up while it’s cooking, you may want to press the bubbles out, so you have a somewhat level surface to put your toppings on. Fry the tortilla, flipping once, until it’s golden on both sides. It won’t take long. You’ll notice that the first few will take a little longer, then it starts going really quick. Lay the tortillas on a baking sheet lined with paper towel.
After your finished, start loading up your toppings. We did the refried beans first, then a layer of guacamole, then cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro. I mixed some sour cream with a bit of taco seasoning, and topped it off. That gave it a little color and a burst of flavor.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 10 tortillas corn or flour
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 cups guacamole
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes grape are the best
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- Combine sour cream and taco seasoning together and mix well, se aside.
- Heat 1/2 to 1 inch of oil in a pan. When it's hot place a tortilla in it and fry until golden, turning once.
- Place cooked tortilla on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Continue until all tortillas are cooked.
- Build each tortilla with refried beans, guacamole, cheese, lettuce, tomato, cilantro and any other toppings you like.
- Garnish with sour cream mixture.
Here’s a few more of our Mexican favorites:
For more of our family favorites, sign up for my FREE Cookbook. I’d love to connect with you, please join me on Facebook for more recipes and conversation!