Pasta Fagioli Soup
A hearty, comforting soup made with pasta and beans, and bursting with flavor.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or lean ground turkey,
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz great northern beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry ditalani pasta or other short pasta
- grated parmesan cheese optional garnish
Turn the Instant Pot to the Saute function, add olive oil and let it warm for a few minutes.
Add onion, carrots and celery and saute until onion begins to be translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Remove mixture from the pot and set aside.
Add ground beef or ground turkey, whichever you are using, and brown until cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon or meat chopper. Turn off the Instant Pot
Drain the meat if desired.
Add the meat and vegetable mixture back into the Pot. Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, pasta and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Cover and turn the Instant Pot to the soup function. Make sure the vent is in the sealed position and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top (optional).
Stove top Instructions:
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Using a large stock pot, Saute vegetables, set aside.
- Brown ground meat, drain if desired.
- Add meat and vegetables back into the pan along with the broth, tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, pasta, and Italian seasoning. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Saute' vegetables, then add to the slow cooker.
- Brown ground meat, drain if desired and add to slow cooker along with the broth, tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- The last 30 minutes of cook time, add the dry pasta and stir to combine. Cover for 30 minutes.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 964mg | Potassium: 810mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5605IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 4.3mg