Simple Sous Vide Asparagus
Crisp, tender, and sweet asparagus, perfect every time! This no-fail Sous Vide Asparagus recipe is lightly seasoned and finished with a dash of fresh lemon juice.
Sous Vide Wand
Large heavy pot
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed from a lemon
Fill pot with water to at least the 'minimum fill' line on your sous vide wand
Place the wand into the pot of water, heat water to 180 degrees
Cut the woodsy ends off the asparagus
Using a vegetable peeler, take off the outer layer of the stalks of asparagus.
Place the asparagus into a gallon size zip lock bag (or vacuum seal in a plastic pouch if you have a vacuum sealer) Add a couple spoons to weigh it down if necessary. Seal the bag up to one corner, pressing out as much air as you can.
Immerse the asparagus into the preheated water, use the displacement method to finish sealing the bag (see notes or video).
Cook the asparagus for 7-10 minutes (see notes on timing)
Remove the asparagus, place on a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Asparagus, like other vegetables, like to float. Here's 2 tips to keeping it immersed.
Displacement Method- This helps get all of the air out of the bag before immersing it. See this in action in the video.
- Place a few spoons in the bottom of the bag to help weigh it down.
- Place something on top of it after putting it in the water to help keep it down. (I use marbles in the video)
Timing- For pencil thin asparagus, cook for 7 minutes. For thicker stalks cook 10 minutes.
Add Oil After Cooking- Most Sous Vide recipes add oil to the bag of food prior to cooking. But with asparagus, it's important to not add any until after cooking. Doing so before can result in unevenly cooked asparagus.
- Seal the bag up to the corner, pressing out as much air as possible.
- Start to immerse the bag of vegetables into the water bath (be careful, it's hot!)
- Using a spoon, press the bag slowly down into the water, being careful to not allow the top to go under. The water will push out the excess air, and you can then seal the corner.
Calories: 34kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1143IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 3mg