Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
The most delicious shredded chicken tacos! Flavorful, tender, juicy and smoky, and cooking them is a breeze in your slow cooker.
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the peppers are in.
- Tortillas flour or corn
- Red onion
- Cotija cheese
- lime wedges optional
Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the Slow Cooker and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the sliced onions and saute’ until translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer onions to the slow cooker, on top of the chicken.
Add tomatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chilis in adobo sauce to a blender. Puree’ until blended into a sauce, about 30 seconds.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and onions. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the thighs to a cutting board and shred with two forks. See my tip in the notes for shredding chicken with a stand mixer.
Return the meat back to the sauce. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes on low or warm setting.
Serve over tortillas with red onion, cilantro, cheese, and a squeeze of lime.
- The heat in this recipe is medium.
- For mild, use 1 chili and 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce;
- For hot, use 3 chilis and 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce
- This can also be made with boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Shredding chicken hack: If you have a stand mixer, place the thighs in the bowl of the stand mixer, use the paddle attachment, and turn the mixer to ‘stir’ or a low setting, run until chicken is shredded.
- For the most authentic flavor I recommend the Cotija cheese, but any cheese is fine.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 542mg | Potassium: 481mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 292IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg