Kielbasa Skillet with Apples and Onions
The aromas of apple, kielbasa, and rosemary perfectly compliment each other and will guarantee that your family will follow their noses to the kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium Vidalia onions sliced into ½ inch half moons
- 2 medium apples sliced into ½ inch slices
- 24 ounces Kielbasa or smoked sausage sliced into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir occasionally until starting to turn translucent (about 3 minutes)
Add the apples and stir into the onions, let that sit for about 3 minutes.
Add the kielbasa, stir, and cover for 6-9 minutes until heated through.
Remove the cover and add the fresh chopped rosemary, stir for 30 seconds.
- Use your favorite brand of kielbasa. I like to use something natural and uncured with no preservatives. I used Teton for this recipe.
- You can substitute a yellow, white, or red onion in place of the Vidalia onions. It will change the flavor slightly depending on what you use.
- Use an apple that will soften slightly during cooking but not break down. I used honey crisp in this recipe because it’s my favorite.
- For charred onions, don't disturb for 1-2 minutes after putting in the pan and before stirring.
Calories: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 1230mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 161IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg