Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Made with ground turkey, this healthy turkey chili still is a bowl full of comfort! Whether you need an easy weeknight meal, you're entertaining, or you need something for the big game, this slow cooker turkey chili is a show stopper.
Servings 10 people
- 2 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup yellow pepper chopped
- 1 cup orange pepper chopped
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 4 oz can mild chopped green chilis
- 2 cups navy beans
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 2 cups Turkey broth can use chicken or vegetable
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce all natural, no sugar
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- cheese, non fat plain Greek yogurt, cilantro, jalapeno, avocado
Slow Cooker Instructions
In a frying pan, saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. (Alternatively, you can just crumble the raw ground turkey in the bottom of the slow cooker, add the onions and garlic, stir, then go on to step 5.
Add ground turkey, and brown until cooked through.
Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Transfer to slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
Serve garnished with shredded cheese, cilantro, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, jalapeno, avocado.
Instant Pot Instructions
Turn the instant pot on the saute' function. Heat teaspoon or so of olive oil and saute' the onions until translucent.
Add the ground turkey and cook until browned. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds
Turn the saute' function off
Add the peppers, chilis, beans, broth, tomato sauce and seasonings and stir to combine
Place the lid on the pot and turn the knob to the sealed position. Turn the instant pot on manual pressure for 20 minutes.
When it's finished cooking use the rapid release and serve.
In a large pot heat a teaspoon of olive oil, add the onions and saute' until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up while you go, until browned.
Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds
Add the peppers, chilis, beans, broth, tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer it simmers the more the flavor builds.
- Use less beans for a low carb option. I limit it to 2 cups when going for low carb chili.
- Time-saving tip-- cut up the onions and peppers the day before.
- you can replace the ground turkey with ground beef (you can even lower the fat content by rinsing the browned beef in really hot water, keeping it a bit more healthy).
- Use turkey broth, chicken broth or beef broth, they all work great! The bone broth is super healthy and good for your gut.
- I like to use a variety of beans for color and texture, but you can use one kind, or change the combination that I have. Black beans are always good.
- non-fat plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and much lower in fat, but either one works.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 819mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1281IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4mg