Healthy Lentil Soup
Protein packed lentils and delicious vegetables this lentil soup is bathed in bone broth and finished with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cups onions chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 12 cups bone broth vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 3 cups lentils rinsed
- 28 oz diced tomatoes in juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic reduction for garnish, or use balsamic vinegar
- parmesan cheese shredded, for garnish
Heat oil in a heavy large sauce pan or dutch oven.
Add onions, carrots, and celery, saute' until they begin to brown, about 7-10 minutes.
Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add broth, lentils and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with a splash of balsamic reduction and thick shreds of parmesan cheese
Slow Cooker Instructions: Saute' the vegetables, then transfer to the Slow Cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Instant Pot Instructions: Turn the Instant pot on the "Saute" function. Saute' the vegetables. Add remaining ingredients, close lid to the sealed position. Cooke on high pressure for 8-10 minutes. Natural pressure release and serve.
- This is a great meatless Monday option, but add some cooked chicken breast, ham, or sausage if you're a meat lover.
- Using Bone Broth is my secret to giving this recipe even more nutrition. It also adds great flavor.
- You can use vegetable broth and leave off the cheese for a vegan lentil soup option.
- Add some Italian seasoning to change up the flavor a bit.
- Add a splash of lemon juice (but then leave the vinegar out).
- If you don't have balsamic reduction or don't care to make it, just use a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Place 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan, heat to boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until reduced by half. As it cools it will become thicker.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3736IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 4mg