Braised Beef with Cranberries
This juicy braised beef recipe is so tender and flavorful! The gravy is infused with red wine, molasses, cranberries, and onions. It's perfect for cold nights or holiday entertaining. The best news, it's super easy to do!
- 3 pounds beef brisket chuck roast works great too
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 15 ounces can beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine merlot or cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs unsulfured molasses
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 16 oz frozen pearl onions
Preheat oven to 350 with rack in lowest position.
Season beef with salt and pepper.
Heat a 5 quart dutch oven or heavy pot over medium high.
Add brisket, cook until browned, 8-10 minutes, rotating once.
Transfer beef to a plate
Add flour to pot and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add broth, wine, bay leaf, molasses, half the cranberries, and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Return beef to pot, and cover.
Transfer to oven; bake 3 hours.
Stir in onions; cover, and return pot to oven. Cook 30 minutes more.
Stir in remaining cranberries; return pot to oven. Cook uncovered, until beef is fork-tender, 30 minutes more.
Discard bay leaf before serving.
- You can use beef brisket or chuck roast, both work beautifully.
- If you are serving more than six, you can easily double the amount of beef, but the amount of cranberries, onions, and everything else can stay the same. It produces plenty of gravy. You may need to use a larger dutch oven.
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 454mg | Potassium: 1043mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 5mg