Egg Roll in a Bowl
All the goodness of egg rolls in a healthy version! This is a great quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup onion chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 pounds ground turkey lean
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tbsp ginger root peeled and grated. Or you can use 1-2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 16 oz cole slaw mix
- salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Instructions
Turn Instant Pot on to Saute'.
Add oil and onions and saute' until translucent (3-5 minutes).
Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add ground turkey and break up with a spoon or a meat masher.
Turn the Instant Pot off. Add broth, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper and cole slaw. Stir to combine.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot with the valve in the sealed position.
Use manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
When finished cooking, use the quick release method.
Serve garnished with sliced green onions and soy sauce if desired.
Saute' onions in sesame oil over medium heat until translucent (about 3-5 minutes)
Add garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add ground turkey and break up with a spoon or meat masher as it cooks.
Add broth, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper and cole slaw. Stir to combine.
Cover and simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10-15 minutes.
Serve garnished with green onions and soy sauce if desired.
- You can use ground chicken, beef, or pork instead of ground turkey
- I love using pre-made cole slaw mix simply for ease of use. This doesn't contain any dressing or other ingredients, it's basically cabbage and carrots already cut. You can cut your own cabbage and carrots if you wish.
- Broccoli slaw is also a great substitute!
- If you make this in a skillet, you can completely eliminate the broth, if you wish. The Instant Pot needs the liquid to come up to pressure.
- If you like a little more 'crunch' or crispness, add only half of the cole slaw mix for cooking and simmering, then just before serving add the other half. Personally, I love it this way!
- Garnish with some chili sauce for a kick!
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 717mg | Potassium: 397mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 3.6mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2.1mg