Low Carb Sausage and Kale Soup
Dinner in 15 minutes! This low carb Sausage Kale soup is your next one pot wonder. Full of flavor and comfort perfect for those chilly winter days.
- 2 pounds ground sausage
- 2 quarts bone broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon glucomannan optional- natural thickening agent, see notes
- 8 ounces kale more or less depending on your taste
Heat dutch oven over medium high heat on the stove. Wait a few minutes for the pan to get hot.
Add the sausage and break up with a chopper like this one, or a wooden spoon, until it's browned and no longer pink. Drain the sausage in a colander and return to the pan.
Add the broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and sage, stir to combine.
Bring the soup up to a gentle boil, just to get the broth hot, then reduce the heat. Add the heavy cream and stir. Sprinkle the glucomannan (if using) and whisk like crazy while adding it in.
Add the kale and stir. Serve immediately and garnish with pepper.
- You can substitute fresh spinach or another green leafy vegetable for the kale. I prefer the kale because it holds it's shape and doesn't get slimy. It leaves a better texture overall in my opinion. The flavor is not overpowering at all, and it's so good for you!
- Ground turkey sausage or ground chicken sausage also work well.
- If you like spicy, then add some cayenne, or, sub out regular sausage for a spicy version.
- Substitute arrowroot powder or cornstarch for glucomannan if desired. The soup will still be great if you don't thicken it, it's preference. (use 1 tablespoon of arrowroot or cornstarch and mix with 1 tablespoon cold water until the powder is dissolved, then add to the soup).
- Add some freshly grated parmesan cheese for an additional garnish.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 979mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3354IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg