Looking for healthy grilled chicken recipes? You’ve come to the right place! This Coconut Lime Chicken Recipe is tender, juicy, and packed with flavors of coconut, lime and a hint of curry. It’s grilled to perfection for the perfect easy summer meal.
Welcome to the Summer Grilling Series
We finally have summer weather here in the mitten! Although we grill almost year round, there is something about summer grilling that I love. Maybe it’s because I’m not freezing my tushy off while watching the food!
Or, probably, it’s the flavors of summer, the view from my deck, and what can I say? I’m just a warm weather person.
In celebration of summer, I’m bringing you fabulous grilling recipes all summer long! You can count on a new recipe for your grill each week.
So I realized, we eat a lot of chicken. Sometimes I wonder if I’m too boring. I mean, I’m a food blogger, so you would think we are eating all kinds of everything right? I suppose we do have variety, but it’s true that we eat chicken more than once a week. What about you?
It’s practical and affordable, not to mention easy. To keep it interesting, I love to make flavorful marinades. That way, even if you eat chicken more than once a week, the flavors are so different, you don’t feel like you’re eating boring chicken. Again.
Coconut milk makes a fabulous marinade for chicken, it tenderizes it and infuses it with amazing flavor. I like to reserve a little of the marinade and use it for a dipping sauce. This chicken is far from boring!
Another perk to this recipe is it freezes well. Just mix up the coconut lime chicken recipe marinade, place the chicken in a freezer bag and pour the marinade on top. Freeze it flat. Thaw in the fridge and grill! Easy peasy!
It’s fabulous served with cilantro lime rice, or cauli-rice if you’re watching the carbs. Before we fire up the grill, let’s talk best grilling practices.
Tips for grilling perfection
- Preheat the grill ~ You need a good surge of heat to kickstart the cooking. This will give you those beautiful grill marks, and keep your meat from sticking. It should preheat 10-15 minutes and be around 500 degrees.
- Give it space ~ All food cooks better with a little space around it. Leave a quarter of your space empty in case you need to quickly move something to a warmer or cooler spot.
- Keep the lid on ~ It keeps the interior a consistent temperature and gives you more predictable results. It also prevents those flare ups.
- Rest ~ when cooking, the heat pushes the juices to the surface. If you let the meat ‘rest’ for a few minutes after removing them from the grill, those juices will reabsorb into the meat giving you a juicy piece of meat.
Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken
Tender, juicy, and packed with flavors of coconut, lime and a hint of curry. It's grilled to perfection for the perfect easy summer meal.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts If breasts are thick, filet them (slice lengthwise).
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp Truvia
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
Whisk together coconut oil, lime zest, cumin, soy sauce, salt, Truvia, curry powder, coconut milk and lime juice.
Place chicken in gallon size freezer bag, or 8x8 glass dish and pour marinade over top.
Marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
Preheat grill 400-500 degrees. Grill chicken 5 minutes per side or until done.
Garnish with lime slices, cilantro and jalapeno peppers.
I typically buy 1 package of chicken breasts and fillet them for thinner cuts. Usually 3 breasts are in a package, so this will give me 6 pieces of meat.
Truvia can be substituted with 3 Tbsp sugar, or 3 Tbsp honey.
Looking for more summer grilling recipes?