It's inexpensive, easy to make, quick to put together, uses one pot, oh, and did I mention delicious?
Everyone will be running to the table for this one! Read on to find out which ingredient brings it over the top yummy.
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- fresh ginger
- chicken drumsticks
- sesame seeds
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken and coat well
- cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4 hours
- Remove chicken and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour remaining sauce into a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and add a cornstarch slurry, cook until thick.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce, and place under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize (this step is optional)
- Fresh grated ginger really takes this up a notch. However, you can substitute ground ginger if you'd like.
- We love the sauce, which is why I add some cornstarch and make it into a glaze for dipping or basting. You can remove the chicken, and add the cornstarch slurry straight to your crockpot if you'd like. Just turn it on high and let it go for 15-20 minutes, or until it's thick.
- When making a sauce like this, I often run it through a fine mesh sieve to strain out any little tiny pieces of chicken or chicken fat before I add the slurry.
- Placing the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes is completely optional. I like it because it helps the sauce stick and it just caramelizes it a bit for a deeper flavor. But the recipe is still pretty fabulous without this step.
Let's make it
Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Drumsticks
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1½ Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger you can use ground ginger, just use a little less
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- sesame seeds for garnishing
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, garlic, sesame oil, and ginger in the crock pot, stir well.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat well.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high for 2-4 hours
- Remove chicken and pour the sauce into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch with equal parts cold water and mix well.
- Add the slurry to the hot liquid. Bring to a boil, until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Baste chicken with the sauce and place it under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize. (optional)
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with a side of dipping sauce if desired.
- Use ¼ cup brown swerve OR 2 tbs truvia Or 2 tbs Gentle Sweet
- Instead of cornstarch slurry, use gluccomanan to thicken.
To Make Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Drumsticks, you may need~
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Art From My Table!
You could totally substitute chicken breast, but I would cook it a much shorter time as they tend to dry out when they are in the slow cooker for too long. Maybe on low for 3-4 hours.
Can you substitute chicken breast?