Chocolate Hazelnut Drop cookies~a delicious, chocolatey, chewy cookie with the crunch of toasted hazelnuts. These beauties are gluten free and dairy free, but certainly not taste free!
Chocolate Hazelnut Drop Cookies
Don’t these look ah-may-zing?! Well, they are friends, they are! If you’ve got a chocolate craving, these will satisfy your soul! We’re talking groans of pleasure. I know, that sounds weird, but you know what I mean, right? When you take a bite and you can’t help but “uh” or “oh”, or “mmm”. It’s like there’s no words, you just sort of make noises.
This post may contain affiliate links
And you won’t believe how ridiculously easy these are to make. Whip up a double batch, and keep some for now and some in the freezer for when that chocolate craving arises. Am I the only one that hides desserts from the kids?
Recently, my husband and I spent a weekend at the Wickwood Inn. the Wickwood Inn is a lovely B & B in Saugatuck MI. The owner is Julee Rosso, a well-known cook book author. The inn is a real haven for a foodie like me. My husband certainly knows how to pick ’em! He made the plans, picked the place and even had two of her cookbooks signed by her and waiting in our room.
Not only did they serve a fabulous breakfast each morning, but each night they had complimentary Hors D’oeuvres. A little later in the evening, there’s always a sweet treat. Tea, coffee, iced tea and juice were available all day for you to help yourself to. The room was perfect, and the hospitality was first rate.
I’m getting carried away, thanks for letting me re-live that memory. So… when you leave the inn, they send you off with a little gift, a collection of recipes. These chocolate hazelnut drop cookies were on that list. When I saw they were gluten free and dairy free, I was excited to make them for an upcoming gathering I was attending, and I knew that there were some special dietary needs. So these were perfect for everyone on the guest list, even if you don’t have allergies.
Next time you have a chocolate craving, give these a try! You won’t be disappointed!
- 1½ cups chopped hazelnuts (find these pre-chopped in the baking aisle)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes, until golden. (keep an eye on them)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt together.
- Add the nuts and and combine.
- While whisking, add the egg whites and vanilla extract. Beat just until batter is moistened.
- spoon batter onto the baking sheet in 1 inch mounds.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the tops are glossy and slightly cracked.
- Slide the parchment paper with the cookies on to a wire rack, cool completely.
Looking for more chocolate?
For even more fabulous recipes, join me on Facebook!
Check out more of Julee’s amazing recipe’s on her blog The Cooks Notes