Plus, they have plain Greek yogurt in them, this way, we at least get some protein in. 😉
How to make Valentine Secret Message Cookies (de-coder cookies)
STEP ONE: Make the dough (instructions in recipe card)
STEP TWO: While the dough is chilling, take red hard candy (I like Jolly Ranchers), place it in a bag and crush it with s mallett or rolling pin.
STEP THREE: Cut out the cookies. Using 2 heart shaped cookie cutters (a larger and a smaller), cut out the cookies and place them on a foil lined sheet sprayed with coconut oil.
STEP FOUR: Fill the center of each cookie with the crushed candy. Bake, cool, enjoy!
How to make secret messages
You can very easily make your own by using a blue pen or light blue marker to write your message. After that, just doodle right over it with red, orange and pink markers. The message you wrote will appear when you put the Sugar Cookie over top of it.
No time to doodle? No worries, I found some on the internet, and this is a much quicker route. Check out this post from Gourmet Mom On The Go, and/or this post from Moments to Live By. Each of these sites have a free printable of secret messages. 🙌🏼
I had a lot of fun making these healthier Valentine’s Day Cookies for my kids when they were quite a bit younger. Now that they’re older, they love to help make them and give them away as Valentines to their friends.
Happy Valentines Day!
Here’s about a 12 minute video walking you through the steps. Enjoy!
More Valentine’s Day recipes (healthier options)~
Valentine De-Coder Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 bag of red hard candy such as Jolly ranchers
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line cookie sheets with foil and spray with coconut oil (or any non-stick spray).
- Place the hard candy in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or cooking mallet and set aside.
- Beat and cream together shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Sift together salt, baking soda and flour.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt. Chill if desired
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface and cut with floured cookie cutters.
- Place each heart shaped cookie dough onto the cookie sheet and fill the center with crushed candy.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.
To Make These You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Art From My Table