These Valentine's day Sugar Cookies reveal secret messages! This is a delicious cookie and activity all in one!
Perfect to give your kids for Valentine's Day, or, make them for the class party.
Any sugar cookie recipe will do, but I've adapted my Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies to more of an Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookie type recipe.
They're a little softer and fluffier in texture, and we really like them.
Plus, they have plain Greek yogurt in them, this way, we at least get some protein in. 😉
How to make Valentine Secret Message Cookies (de-coder cookies)
STEP ONE: Make the dough (instructions in recipe card)
STEP TWO: While the dough is chilling, take red hard candy (I like Jolly Ranchers), place it in a bag and crush it with s mallett or rolling pin.
STEP THREE: Cut out the cookies. Using 2 heart shaped cookie cutters (a larger and a smaller), cut out the cookies and place them on a foil lined sheet sprayed with coconut oil.
STEP FOUR: Fill the center of each cookie with the crushed candy. Bake, on a rimmed baking sheet, cool, enjoy!
How to make secret messages
You can very easily make your own by using a blue pen or light blue marker to write your message.
After that, just doodle right over it with red, orange and pink markers. The message you wrote will appear when you put the Sugar Cookie over top of it.
No time to doodle? No worries, I found some on the internet, and this is a much quicker route.
Check out this post from Moments to Live By. Each of these sites have a free printable of secret messages. 🙌🏼
I had a lot of fun making a healthier option for my kids when they were quite a bit younger. Now that they're older, they love to help make them and give them away as Valentines to their friends.
Happy Valentines Day!
Here's about a 12-minute video walking you through the steps. Enjoy!
Your shares are how this site grows, and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe?
I’d love it if you shared it on your favorite Pinterest board or Facebook! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ rating! TIA 🥰
You can also follow along on YouTube and Instagram!
More Valentine's Day Treats
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter to have recipes delivered to your inbox and to stay up to date on the latest!
Valentine De-Coder Cookies
- baking sheets
- heart shaped cookie cutters in different sizes
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 bag of red hard candy such as Jolly ranchers
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line cookie sheets with foil and spray with coconut oil (or any non-stick spray).
- Place the hard candy in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or cooking mallet and set aside.
- Beat and cream together shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Sift together salt, baking soda and flour.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt. Chill if desired
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface and cut with floured cookie cutters.
- Place each heart shaped cookie dough onto the cookie sheet and fill the center with crushed candy.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.