A delicious sweet cake made with wholesome ingredients that you can eat with no guilt! This Black Cherry Breakfast Cake is your new best friend! There's no processed sugar and it can be gluten free. Great for breakfast or a mid-morning snack.
I've been on a cherry kick lately. Just this week I posted this Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie (which will make you swoon by the way) and now this Black Cherry Breakfast Cake. But the best part is that both of these delicious cherry treats are healthy! What?! Yes, really, I know you can hardly believe it. 🙂
Black Cherry Breakfast Cake
The breakfast cake, or maybe you would call it a coffee cake is sweet and moist with a burst of cherry flavor. I have all these scrumptious cherries in my freezer from last summer. We picked 63 pounds! So back in the summer I was making lots of recipes with fresh cherries, like this cherry salsa and these pork chops. Now I'm using up those frozen babies. YUM!
This post may contain affiliate links
I was inspired by the Trim Healthy Mama Giant Pancake recipe. So this is a spin on that one. I make this over the weekend or at the beginning of the week and then just heat it up every day for breakfast. I love to eat mine with a dollop of yogurt on it.
It can be gluten free if you use gluten free oats. If you are on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, this is an E. Also note that you can make it in an 8 x 8 inch pan, or double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 inch pan. I chose the round spring form pan for this post for no other reason than to try and impress you with pretty pictures. 😀
To get the marble effect, dot the puree'd berries on top of your batter. Then take a skewer, or toothpick or even a butter knife and just gently swirl it around.
You can change up the fruit to your desires. I love it with blueberries and raspberries as well. And if you don't want to do the fancy marbling thing, just throw in your berries at the end, you don't even have to puree' them if you're going that route.
Black Cherry Breakfast Cake would be a great addition to your Valentines Day menu as well. 🙂
If you're curious about Trim Healthy Mama, I recommend The Trim Healthy Mama Plan and the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook. Or you can read more about my personal journey in this Metabolism Boosting Tea post.
For more healthy inspired treats, check out these...
Black Cherry Breakfast Cake
- 9 inch spring form pan
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cups egg whites
- 1 tablespoon THM Super Sweet Blend see notes for alternative
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup frozen black cherries, thawed and puree'd
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the oats into a blender and blend until it turns into a powder.
- Add the cottage cheese, egg whites, sweetener, vanilla, and baking powder. Blend well.
- Pour batter into a 9 inch spring form pan, cake pan, or 8 x 8 square baking dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of cherry puree on top of the batter, then, using a skewer, toothpick or butter knife, gently swirl around.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, or more cherries.
If you make this, snap a picture and tag me on social media! I'd love to see what's happening in your kitchen.