Carnitas Casserole Verde is made with shredded pork, cream cheese and tomatillo sauce for an easy one dish meal sure to satisfy that Mexican craving.
This post is sponsored by United Dairy Industries of Michigan. I’m honored to partner with them to bring you recipes your family will come running to the table for.
If you had to eat only one nationality of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
You can probably guess, mine would be Mexican. In a heartbeat. Some of my favorites:
But today’s post is not a guacamole recipe. Today’s recipe is Carnitas Casserole Verde. This is one of those easy, one dish meals that comes together quickly. Who doesn’t need that?
Now, if you have any Mexican or Hispanic in you, I need to warn you, this is not traditional carnitas. Not only because it’s casserole style, but the pork was cooked differently than in a traditional Mexican kitchen.
Don’t judge! This recipe still has amazing flavor, fills you up, and is quite the comfort food.
Carnitas Casserole Verde
For this recipe you’ll need shredded pork, corn tortillas, cream cheese, salsa verde (mild, medium or hot, your choice), and some monterey jack cheese.
See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Top it off with some cilantro.
Cook a big batch of pork and freeze it in portions so you have it on the ready for any recipe. For that reason, I don’t season this pork with anything other than salt and pepper.
Prep your ingredients (mixing, shredding, chopping, etc) to make building your casserole go quicker.
Casserole, I don’t like that word much. It kind of comes with a stereotype ya know? Sounds old, and not very appealing. But hey, the truth is, this is a casserole. But it’s a good one I promise!
Put a cup or so of the salsa verde on the bottom of your pan.
Place the tortillas next. Usually 5 will do. Four are whole, and I tear the last one to make it fit well.
Spread the creamy sauce on,
Then the pork…
Last but not least, the cheese! Oh yes! Glorious cheese!
Top it off with a layer of tortillas, sauce and cheese. Pop it in the oven and this baby is good to go!
After you bake it for 30 minutes, garnish it with some fresh cilantro. Cilantro happens to be one of those love it or hate it kind of things. Where do you stand?
If you don’t like cilantro, leave it off, no problemo. You could also top it with some diced tomatoes if that floats your boat.
We serve our Mexican meals up with chips, salsa, and guacamole.
Variations for Carnitas Casserole Verde
- Use beef or chicken
- Go vegetarian and use beans in place of meat
- Fajita style veggies make a fantastic additional layer
- Add a another type of cheese for extra cheesy goodness.
This dish is a great one to make ahead so all you have to do is heat it up. It’s also a great freezer meal! I would recommend thawing it before you bake it if you go that route.
Carnitas Casserole Verde
- 2 1/2 cups shredded pork
- 15 corn tortillas
- 1 16 oz jar of salsa verde mild, medium or hot
- 2 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 8oz block of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Reserve 1 cup of salsa.
- Combine cream cheese and remaining salsa and mix well.
- Wrap tortillas between damp paper towels and warm in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour 1 cup salsa on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Spread 5 tortillas in the pan.
- Spread ⅓ of the sauce on top of the tortillas
- Place half of the shredded pork on top.
- Follow pork with ⅓ of the cheese
- Repeat steps 6-9.
- Finish with a layer of tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Serve topped with Cilantro
For more great recipes featureing dairy, see Milk Means More on all their social media platforms: