I have been looking for a great slow cooker orange chicken. I saw a couple on pinterest and I found the comments (on the actual blog post) to be very mixed. People either loved it or hated it, it was too orangey, it was bitter, chicken was soggy, chicken was dry, etc. I continued researching for that perfect orange chicken recipe and I looked at probably 15-20 different sites and every single recipe was identical! So, I allowed that to be my inspiration and tried to create my own orange chicken. This is what we came up with. We loved it. My daughter, who doesn’t like chicken, had 3 helpings! I understand everyone has preferences, and I do love to hear feedback on my recipes, so even if you don’t like it, it’s okay. Cooking is an Art right? We can change things to our likings.
One reason we all love the crock pot is because we can basically turn it on in the morning and let it go all day. I think that this recipe for orange chicken will NOT work that way. The time just too long. No one likes dry chicken, no matter how flavored it is, am I right?! For me, I love having dinner set to go when the kids come home from school. I want to hear about their day and be available to them without having to multi task and make dinner at the same time. So, even though this isn’t an all day slow cooker recipe, it was still very helpful for me because it gave me that time with the kids.
A couple notes…
When browning the chicken, the pan should be very hot, so the meat doesn’t stick. That will also give you a nice golden color with some crispiness. Use an oil such as canola or vegetable oil or another one that can withstand very high heat. Olive oil is too fragile for this. Just brown the chicken, It does not need to be cooked all the way through because it will be going in the crock pot.
If you like your peppers more on the crisp side, you may want to add them a little later in the cooking time.
Would love your feedback on this orange chicken. Got a variation? Please share!
Love Asian Cuisine? Check out these posts:
If you’d like to be first to see my recipes, sign up for my free newsletter! You get the convenience of an email delivered straight to your inbox whenever there is a new recipe. You can subscribe at the top of this page or in the right side bar! Thank you so much!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- canola oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple orange juice concentrate thawed (100% juice)
- 3 tbs ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large clove garlic crushed
- 1- 1 1/2 inch of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 green onion thinly sliced for garnishing
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Brown the chicken pieces, working in batches if necessary. Don't crowd the
- Once you brown all your chicken, place it in the slow cooker.
- Add peppers, onions, carrots, and celery.
- In a separate bowl combine the juice, ketchup, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour over the chicken add your vegetables and stir to coat.
- Set slow cooker on low for 2 1/2 hours
- Serve over rice with sliced green onions