Creamy, decadent bittersweet chocolate pudding made from scratch topped with mint infused whipped cream.
A perfect dessert for St. Patricks day, or that thin mint girl scout cookie craving. It's so easy to make, you'll never buy packaged pudding again!
So do you guys celebrate St. Patricks Day? We don't have one lick of Irish in us, but we love to celebrate! Therefore, we do eat some Irish goodness this time of year.
This is perfect for a St. Patty's day dessert, OR, do we have any girl scout cookie fans??? Yes, this reminded me of a thin mint cookie.
And who can turn down a thin mint? I mean really! If you can, you are my hero. 😉
I feel you have to be careful with mint because it can be overpowering. So, in this recipe, I just made a super easy bittersweet chocolate pudding from scratch, but I added the mint into the whipped cream.
So, you still get the chocolate and mint flavors together, but it's not too much. It's perfect, really.
I have to tell you too, while I think pudding is fantastic, it hasn't made it's way to our table regularly.
I'm not sure why, but when I was a kid, we had it much more often. Then again, I didn't grow up eating the healthiest. So maybe it's just because we do dessert in moderation.
I have a lovely reader to thank for this recipe inspiration (thank you Nora!!). She emailed me and mentioned she was looking for a from scratch chocolate pudding recipe. This is what I came up with.
Be sure to check out my entire collection of St. Patrick's Day recipes!
Your shares are how this site grows, and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe?
I’d love it if you shared it on your favorite Pinterest board or Facebook! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ rating! TIA 🥰
You can also follow along on YouTube and Instagram!
Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding with Mint Whipped Cream
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- ⅔ cup pure cane sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- chopped chocolate mint candy, such as Ande's mints (optional for garnish)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional for garnish)
Mint Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract scant
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Put 2 cups of the half and half and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- Cook until it just begins to steam
- Combine the cornstarch and the remaining half and half in a bowl and stir well to blend until there are no lumps. Add the mixture to the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens and just starts to boil, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, bittersweet chips, and vanilla extract, until the butter and chocolate are melted.
- Pour into a 1 quart size dish, or into ramekins or another serving dish. Put plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent "skin" from forming. Skip this if you don't mind the "skin".
- Refrigerate until chilled.
For the whipped cream:
- Place the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and extract into a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk until soft peaks form.
- Top pudding with whipped cream, chocolate mints and mint leaves.