Perfectly cooked eggs nestled in a creamy magic green sauce made up of herbs and spices. Green Shakshuka is a hearty healthy meal anytime of the day!
Shak-ah-whatta?? What is Shakshuka anyway, besides super fun to say! Try saying it 5 times fast, really, it’s fun. 😉
Shakshuka is a middle eastern dish that consists of eggs poached in a tomato based sauce that also contains peppers and onions and usually some cumin. It’s absolutely delicious.
My husband actually made shakshuka for me, hmmm, maybe a couple of years ago now? I lose track of time, it just flies by ya know? Anyway, it was amazing, and even at that time, I thought… I need to make a green version of this, wouldn’t that be great?
So, here we are, only a couple years later and I finally got around to it. But, I have to say, it’s going to be a staple around here from now on! We love eggs in our family, and the all the herbs and veggies in this magic green sauce make it not only taste amazing, but, hey, it’s good for you!
Now, don’t let the fancy name Green Shakshuka scare you off. This is actually super easy and quick to make.
This post may contain affiliate links
I just take all the greens and garlic and nuts and blend them up in the food processor. Scrape down the sides once or twice, and that’s it. You literally have an amazing green sauce in seconds. This is pretty close to the food processor I use. I’ve probably had it a good 8-10 years. So they probably make them even better now!
I know there’s a lot of great kitchen appliances and gadgets out there, but I just haven’t been able to get rid of my food processor yet. I still use it. It’s great for grating big batches of cheese, and… bars of soap. Yup, I use it to make my own laundry detergent.
But, I digress. So, this recipe is really easy, as I mentioned, and you can create different variations by adding other greens, such as spinach or kale. You could also use walnuts instead of pine nuts, and if you want to kick the heat up a bit, add some more jalapeno! Serve it on rice, or quinoa or toast. I’d love to hear how you adjust it to your taste.
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 10 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp lime juice from half of a lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 eggs
- Place the parsley, cilantro, dill, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil, peas, and pine nuts in a food processor. Process until blended and the texture similar to pesto.
- Heat a skillet to medium. Pour the green sauce in the pan and warm it for just a minute. Add the cream and stir.
- Create little 'holes' where you want to place your eggs. Gently crack them, cover the pan with the lid.
- Cook 3-5 minutes for a runny yolk and longer for a medium or hard cooked egg.
- Serve over rice, toast, or even quinoa.
Love eggs? Here’s another family fav!