These Cheesy Baked Eggs in Tomato Cream Sauce make the perfect meal whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner! Creamy cheese, tangy tomato and delicious eggs, it's full of comfort and nutrition.
Are you stumped for what to have for dinner? Does the same-old same-old just not appeal to you? Believe me, I can relate! If you're craving something a little different, you are going to love these cheesy baked eggs in tomato cream sauce. You most likely have all the ingredients.
Cheesy Baked Eggs
Sometimes I'm in the mood for something a little different. This meal was perfectly satisfying. We ate this for dinner, but it could totally be a breakfast, brunch or lunch.
We often eat eggs for dinner. This Frittata recipe is one of our favorite ways to eat eggs.
This post may contain affiliate links
I love a great 'breakfast for dinner' dinner, but I gotta say, this definitely did not feel like breakfast. Maybe because the breakfast for dinners we choose are not really along these lines. And include pancakes or French Toast 🙂
This recipe is adapted from Everyday Food Magazine. One of my all time favorite resources for recipe inspiration!
Okay, it's not really a secret sauce. But do you know how easy it is to make sauce from scratch? Don't let that whole 'from scratch' thing intimidate you. I love the simplicity of this but it's full of flavor, and really I think more flavor than you can get from a jar.
This sauce is super easy. Easy as sautéing some onions, adding a couple spices, tomatoes and cream. See? Not so difficult. 😉
Another ingredient that I think really boosts up the flavor in this dish is the corn tortillas. They absorb all the yummy sauce and add some texture. You don't have to slice them up like this, but it does make it a tiny bit easier for serving.
Once you've made your sauce it's time to assemble your casserole. Is anyone else not a fan of that word "casserole"? Seriously it just sounds dated and... blah. I don't know, but I surely do love casseroles!
If you know how to make a good one, there is nothing 'blah' about it. 🙂
Cover the bottom of your dish in tomato sauce~ yes, the one you made ~then add your tortillas and more sauce. Then just crack the eggs right on top. I make a little well in the sauce.
Add cheese and bake it.
How to get perfectly baked eggs
Here's a couple tips to get perfect baked eggs~
- Pouring a little liquid over the top prevents it from drying out. Use a little milk or cream.
- Bake 12-15 minutes for runny yolks, 15-18 minutes for a soft cooked to medium yolks, and 20 minutes for hard cooked yolks.
- The eggs will continue to cook a little once its removed from the oven, so keep that in mind.
If you like the yolks firm, then bake it a little longer, if you like a softer yolk, then a little less.
Dinner's done! In under 30 minutes! Can I get an "Amen"?
Cheesy Baked Eggs in Tomato Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup half and half
- 8 corn tortillas sliced in ½ inch strips
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium high
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in tomatoes, scraping up browned bits.
- Cook until tomato sauce is thickened and bubbling, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place tortilla strips in an even layer over the sauce.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the tortillas.
- Break eggs over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling and egg whites are set, about 25 minutes.
Love eggs? Check out these posts~
What do you like to make when your craving a change?