This Pumpkin Overnight Oatmeal is not only delicious, but good for you too! Healthy, quick, easy AND delicious, that’s the perfect way to start your day!
Tis the season for all things pumpkin, right?! Around here we can’t get enough pumpkin muffins, pumpkin soup, and pumpkin breakfast cookies. I’ve been roasting pumpkins like crazy to make fresh pumpkin puree for all of these delicious recipes.
I know that overnight oats are not a new invention, but I think they’re still all the rage. This healthy pumpkin oatmeal takes 5 minutes to prep, then throw it in the fridge and eat it the next day. Better yet, make a few to last you all week.
Benefits of Pumpkin
Did you know that pumpkin is good for you? Let’s look at some of the benefits~
- Keeps your eyesight sharp, it’s loaded with Vitamin A
- Good source of fiber. Fiber seems to help people eat less, which results in shedding pounds
- Reduces cancer risk, due to the anti-oxidant beta-carotene which may play a role in cancer prevention.
- protects your skin
- Beats bananas in the potassium category. Great for post work out!
- Boosts your immune system due to the Vitamin C.
If you make pumpkin puree´ from scratch, or just happen to carve some pumpkins, the seeds are good for you too. They boost your mood because of the tryptophan, which produces serotonin. Some studies have also shown that the seeds reduce your LDL, or “bad” cholesterol.
How to make Pumpkin Overnight Oats
There are a few different options when making Overnight Oats. The main thing is that the oats are going to soak in the liquid to soften, rather than cooking them.
Many of my other overnight oats recipes contain Greek yogurt, which really amps up the protein. But for this recipe, I’m only using almond milk as the liquid and adding some protein powder.
STEP ONE: Place the oats, protein powder, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, maple extract, almond milk, maple syrup and chocolate chips in a pint-sized mason jar, or other container.
STEP TWO: Cover the jar and shake well. Alternatively, you can stir it.
STEP THREE: Place in the refrigerator overnight. After the oats have set up, garnish with a few chocolate chips and some chopped pecans.
It only needs 4-5 hours to soak and set up, but typically this recipe is made the night before and stays in the refrigerator overnight, which could be 8+ hours, depending on when you make it.
Pumpkin Overnight Oats will last in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days. The longer it soaks, the creamier the texture will be.
It can be eaten hot or cold.
Pumpkin Overnight Oatmeal for Trim Healthy Mama’s (aka~ THM)
For those of you following the THM plan, sub out the following:
- Use chopped dark chocolate (70-80%) in place of the chocolate chips, and maybe just garnish or use a little less.
- Use an on plan sweetener in place of maple syrup.
This is an “E” meal. 🙂
What kind of oats are best?
Old fashioned rolled oats are the best for overnight oats recipes. They’ll give you that creamy smooth texture with just the right amount of chew.
Steel cut oats won’t soften enough and therefore will be very chewy and quite dense.
Quick Oats will get too soggy.
Can you use water instead of milk?
You can use water as your liquid, however, Almond milk, Cashew milk or Cow’s milk will be much creamier and flavorful.
More overnight oatmeal Flavors
- Carrot Cake
- Toasted Coconut
- Apples & Peanut Butter
- Pineapple Coconut
- Chunky Monkey
- Raspberry Vanilla
- Blueberry Maple
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
- mason jars, weck jars, or other container with lids
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup Almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp maple extract
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp chopped pecans for garnish
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Place the oats, protein powder, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, maple extract, almond milk, maple syrup and chocolate chips in a pint sized mason jar.
- Cover the jar and shake well. Alternatively, you can stir it.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight. After the oats have set up, garnish with a few chocolate chips and some chopped pecans, enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.