I'm a red meat girl! Bring on the steak, burgers, prime rib... I'm all in! This Homemade Philly Cheesesteak is a great way to enjoy some steak. Have you ever had a prime rib sandwich with onions and peppers on top? YUM! This is a bit like that, but we're using a top round steak to make it more affordable. The Instant Pot is working it's magic here to give us tender meat even though it's a less expensive cut. These easy beef sandwiches will become one of your favorite dinner recipes!
I don't know about you, but a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich used to be something I would only eat from a restaurant. I used to feel the same way about French Dip Sandwiches. Now I make them at home and they are a favorite.
And let's face it, I have a large family, so eating out all the time is expensive! In my cooking journey, I've found ways to make elegant meals easy, like these Steak Pinwheels, which are great for company or a weeknight meal.
What kind of steak do you use for a Philly cheesesteak?
Traditionally, a Philly Cheesesteak is made with thinly sliced Ribeye. However, that can get pricey! Here's a few recommendations if you're value concious:
- top round steak
- top sirloin steak
- skirt steak
What kind of cheese do you use on a Philly cheesesteak?
American Cheese, Provolone, and Cheese Whiz are the most popular choices. We use Provolone on our homemade Philly Cheesesteak, it has the perfect mild flavor and a great texture. I'm a big fan of making a recipe your own. So ultimately your preference. Some other ideas:
- Pepper Jack
- Cheddar/White Cheddar
- Homemade cheese sauce
How to Make Philly Cheese steak
We're using the Instant Pot today, but check the notes of the recipe for other options.
Step one: prepare steak, peppers, and onions
- Thinly slice steak against the grain. To make this easier, you can freeze the steak for 1 hour prior to slicing.
- Thinly slice green peppers. Cut off the top, remove seeds, slice the pepper in half, lay flat, and cut thin slices lengthwise.
- Thinly slice onion. Cut the top of the onion off, leave the root in tact. Put the flat side down and slice onion in half (you do need to make one cut into the root for this), peel off the skin. Then lay the onion flat and cut crosswise into thin slices starting at the opposite end of the root and working your way toward the root.
Step two: Cook onions and peppers
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Saute' function
- Add oil and let it warm for a few minutes
- add sliced onions and peppers and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Turn off the instant pot.
- Remove the vegetable mixture and set aside.
Step three: Cook the steak
- Add the sliced steak, seasonings and broth to the Instant Pot
- Cover and make sure the valve is set to the 'sealed' position
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow the natural release for 10 minutes, then carefully move the valve to vent to finish the release.
Step four: make the sandwiches
- Place the rolls on a sheet pan and top with steak, onions and peppers.
- Place a piece of cheese on top and cook under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Notes about homemade Philly cheesesteak
- No Instant pot? No problem! See the notes in the recipe card at the end of this post!
- For a low carb option, ditch the roll! Eat over lettuce, coleslaw or cabbage. Specific suggestions are in the notes of the recipe card below.
More Steak Recipes
If you're a fan of red meat, like me, here's some other steak recipes to try:
- Sheet Pan Steak and Veggies
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Pan Seared New York Strips
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Homemade Philly Cheesesteak
- 2 lbs top round steak boneless
- 2 onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 hoagie rolls whole wheat
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Slice steak against the grain into thin slices.
- Slice the peppers and onions in to think slices (about ¼ inch), mince garlic or run through a garlic press.
- Turn Instant Pot on Saute'. Add olive oil and let warm for a few minutes. Add peppers and onions and saute', stirring occasionally, until the onions are beginning to be translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds more. Turn off Instant Pot and remove vegetable mixture and set aside.
- Place steak, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and broth into the Instant Pot. Make sure valve is set to 'sealed' position. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, allowing to natural release for 10 minutes. Carefully turn the valve to vent and allow the release to finish.
- Place hoagie rolls on a sheet pan. Place beef on each roll, then top with vegetable mixture and 1 slice of provolone cheese. Place in the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Feel free to tag me on social media, I love seeing creations from your table! Don't forget to give it a 5-star rating.