This Kale Crunch Salad is a delicious way to enjoy a vitamin-packed superfood! Mix the homemade vinaigrette dressing quickly, toss the simple salad ingredients together, and top it off with crunchy roasted almonds for a Chick-fil-A copycat salad they’ll love!
Now, I know kale isn’t everyone’s favorite green– It can be challenging to work with and bitter in flavor. But if Chick-fil-A can make it as popular as they have, so can you! Here’s the thing: when done right, kale is an incredible addition to any recipe.
I am not one to harp on a recipe’s nutritional value, but a kale salad is healthy! Why not eat a salad that is good for immune support, blood benefits, bone health, and more?
- Olive Oil– It’s important to choose a high-quality extra virgin olive oil for a delicious salad dressing.
- Vinegar– For extra health benefits and authentic flavor, use organic apple cider vinegar.
- Mustard– Bring tangy notes to the dressing with Dijon mustard.
- Syrup– Sweeten the vinaigrette with maple syrup, the real thing here, 100% pure.
- Garlic– Add subtle spice and a depth of flavor with fresh pressed garlic.
- Kale– It’s key to use the leaves of the kale without the stems. Check your local grocery store to see if they have pre-chopped kale, making the recipe even easier!
- Cabbage– For a variation in texture and flavor, toss the kale with thinly sliced green cabbage.
- Almonds– Add a satisfying crunch with roasted almonds- Grab a bag of ‘roasted and salted’ almonds from the store or toast them yourself!
This scrumptious and refreshing Dressing is tasty all year long! Enjoy it over the holidays to enjoy a much-needed break from all the heavy and rich festive holiday dishes or cool off after a day under the hot summer sun!
How to Make the Chick-Fil-A Kale Crunch Salad
- Make the dressing. Add oil, vinegar, mustard, syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper to a mason jar. Then, seal the jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the chopped kale and cabbage to a large bowl, tossing to combine.
- Pour the freshly made dressing on the greens and massage the kale for a couple of minutes until it softens.
- Sprinkle the roasted almonds on the salad, toss once more, serve, and enjoy!
- If you don’t have a jar for dressing, add the ingredients to a bowl and use a whisk to combine.
- Use your hands to massage the kale, releasing the flavor and softening the leaves for a more tender texture and less bitter flavor.
- If you have the time, hold the almonds and chill the salad for about 30 minutes before serving, allowing the flavors to meld. Right before serving, toss the salad with the roasted almonds, then enjoy!
Variations for Kale Salad
This simple salad is easy to adjust to your liking!
- More Toppings– Add more flavor with dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped red onions, green apple slices, bell peppers, or shredded Brussels sprouts.
- Add Cheese– Grated parmesan, crumbled feta, or shredded provolone are delicious additions to the kale salad.
- Protein– Grilled chicken, blackened salmon, bacon bits, and sirloin steak strips are excellent choices for protein.
- Change the Sweetener– If preferred, use honey instead of maple syrup.
- Cabbage Alternative– Use red cabbage instead of shredded green cabbage, or enjoy a mix of the two!
- More Nuts– Try walnuts, pistachios, or pecans if you’re not a fan of almonds.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Kale Crunch Salad is considered a healthier option, with nutritious kale and cabbage loaded with vitamins and fiber. Our homemade dressing is healthy as we are using healthy fats and pure ingredients.
Curly kale is typically used for salads and other recipes featuring kale. Other variations, like lacinato, red, and baby kale, can be used interchangeably, but the texture and taste differ slightly.
Start by thoroughly washing the kale leaves to remove impurities. Next, remove the leaves from the stem and chop the kale into smaller pieces. Before serving the salad, it’s essential to massage the kale with the dressing, making the leaves softer and incorporating the dressing flavor into the kale.
Kale salad is best enjoyed freshly made or after chilling in the fridge for about half an hour. If you have leftover salad, add it to an airtight container to store in the refrigerator for a few days. To make the salad last longer, keep the dressing apart from the salad ingredients.
More of our favorite
Your shares are how this site grows, and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe?
I’d love it if you shared it on your favorite Pinterest board or Facebook! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ rating! TIA 🥰
You can also follow along on YouTube and Instagram!
Kale Crunch Salad
- Mason jar
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic about 2 cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 4 cups green cabbage thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted almonds
- To a mason jar, add the oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper. Put the lid on and shake until everything is combined.
- Put the chopped kale and cabbage in a large bowl, toss to combine.
- Pour the dressing on the greens and massage the kale for 2-3 minutes, until it softens a bit.
- Add the almonds, toss, serve and enjoy.
- A high quality extra virgin olive oil is best for salad dressings.
- I like the organic apple cider vinegar with “the mother” as it adds health benefits.
- If you don’t have a jar to mix the dressing in, a bowl is fine, use a whisk to combine everything together.
- Use the leaves of the kale, and not the tough stem it grows off of. Some stores will have pre-chopped kale which is a great short cut.
- I use almonds that are ‘roasted and salted’
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter to have recipes delivered to your inbox and to stay up to date on the latest!