BLT Salad on a Stick
There is a very special day this month, do you know what it is? It’s a National Day, people. It’s very exciting. And this BLT Salad on a Stick recipe is going to be the perfect way to celebrate.
Do you have any idea how they come up with National Days? I mean, some of them are obvious and world wide recognized, like our major holidays. But where and how do they come up with this stuff? Pretty much every day has a theme, if you just look into it. And who? Who thinks of this stuff? That would be a pretty cool job.
On March 28, it’s National Something on a Stick Day! How fun is that? I wonder how many meals I can make on a stick? My kids are going to love it! In honor of National Something on a Stick Day, I bring you…. BLT Salad on a Stick with Homemade Avocado Dressing.
Besides celebrating a national day with your food (we all need a reason to celebrate, right?), I do think this recipe is perfect for any upcoming backyard BBQ or party you might have. It’s the perfect party appetizer! No eating utensils needed, no dishes!! Brilliant, right?
The avocado dressing is what puts this dish over the top.
One of my favorite cookbooks right now is Mark Bittman’s “Kitchen Express”. The inspiration for this salad dressing comes from there. I love this book because it’s divided into seasons. I love cooking seasonally. Also, as the name suggests, all the recipes come together really fast.
Here’s what you need:
- wooden skewers
- cooked bacon (keep it on the softer side, crispy bacon will crumble)
- Bibb lettuce
- colored grape tomatoes
- red onion
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- Thread the skewers~Starting with a tomato and ending with a tomato keeps things secure. You can put the ingredients on in any order you like. Bibb lettuce folds nicely, I usually take a leaf and fold it twice.
- Make the Dressing~Place avocado, olive oil, basil, juice of the limes, and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. This makes a thicker dressing. Add water to thin it out to your desired consistency.
I hope you enjoy this BLT Salad on a Stick. Need some more ideas? How about French toast on a stick? Crepes on a stick? Fruit skewers? Good ole’ Kebabs, steak, chicken or vegetables! I’d love to hear your ideas as well!
BLT Salad on a Stick
- 12 oz pkg bacon cooked, not crispy
- 1 pint of multi colored cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce also known as Boston or butter
- 1 red onion cut in chunks
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- Juice from 1 lime or more if desired
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thread the skewers with the bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion
- Puree the avocado, basil, garlic, lime juice, olive oil in a blender or food processor.
- Drizzle the dressing over the skewers, or keep it on the side for dipping.
Looking for more fabulous recipes? Join me on Facebook!