Do you like soup? Do you like Spring? Do you like 20-minute meals? yeah, me too. You’d totally have me at “20 minute meals”. Today I’m sharing this oh so lovely Citrus Chicken Soup. I’ve got you covered friend.
Citrus Chicken Soup
Even though it’s technically not quite Spring, we have been having the BEST spring weather here in the mitten! We usually have snow in March. And, honestly, we could get it yet. But today, I’m feeling springy.
Usually in the fall is when everyone gravitates towards the soups and comfort foods. But this citrus chicken soup definitely has flavors of spring. It’s light, and fresh and you certainly won’t be disappointed. Serve this with crusty garlic bread. YUM!
20 minutes you say?
This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite cookbooks for quick meals that for sure feel like you put more time into them. Mark Bittman’s “Kitchen Express” is an awesome resource for quick, easy, gourmet meals.
If you’re someone that doesn’t like to measure, you’ll love this book! Even if you do, you will. What’s nice about this book is that Mark gives very loose recipes. Not everything is measured out, so you can really use your creativity if you feel like it. It also makes it feel simple. You don’t have to get out all your measuring cups and spoons, which means, less to clean up! See, it’s just express all the way around!
Mark has a recipe called Lime and Chicken Soup, that’s where the inspiration for this recipe came from. This is my adapted version.
- onion, garlic, cinnamon
- zest and juice of 1 orange, lemon, lime + orange slices for garnish
- chicken stock
5 Easy Steps
- brown chicken
- add onion, garlic, cinnamon
- add chicken stock, lemon, lime, orange juice
- simmer, add salt and pepper to taste
- add chopped avocado and cilantro just before serving
Citrus Chicken Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed to a paste
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon lime and orange
- juice of 1 lemon lime and orange
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup at least fresh cilantro for serving
- Brown chicken in olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, cinnamon, and zest of the lime, lemon and orange.
- Saute until onion is soft.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add avocado.
- Serve garnished with cilantro.
Do you have a favorite spring recipe? How about a favorite 20 minute meal? I’d love to hear from you!
More Soup Recipes