Spice up your sweet potatoes with chicken, chile peppers, black beans and enchilada sauce. These stuffed sweet potatoes are an all in one dinner that will keep your family running to the table.
Do you like a low maintenance yet tasty meal? We are all about low maintenance meals at our house. That’s why I love making these Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. They are super easy to make, but taste like you’ve spent hours cooking.
Easy Weeknight Meals
It seems like our busiest days fall on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. These are the days when we have drama club, music lessons, and our co-op we attend. There’s just not much time for cooking because I feel like a taxi driver! Even so, I still want to gather with my family at dinner time and have something delicious. More important is the time we spend together, but I think the delicious food draws them in! haha! If I got take-out on these crazy days I’d probably go broke and I wouldn’t be eating very healthy. You’ll like this better than fast food.
Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
All you need for this recipe is, sweet potatoes, chicken, onion, black beans, mild green chiles, cumin, cheese, enchilada sauce and sour cream. Most of this, you may already have. If not, get it on your meal plan for next week!
Make this in 3 easy steps:
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 for about an hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the filling. Saute the onion, chicken, and green chiles. Once that’s cooked, add the black beans and a quarter cup of enchilada sauce.
- Slice the potatoes, add the filling, top with cheese and put it back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve with a drizzle of enchilada sauce and sour cream.
How easy is that?! Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, and dinner’s done! It’s delicious, it’s good for you and it won’t break your pocket book!
A word about enchilada sauce~ You can use store bought or home made. Lately, my favorite is this recipe from Gimme Some Oven. She knocks it out of the park with this sauce!
Do you have a solution for a low maintenance meal? Tell me about it in the comments!
Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 4 oz can of mild green chilie
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups prepared black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce home made or store bought
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or your favorite, shredded
- Sour cream for topping
- Heat the oven to 400, prick the potatoes and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Saute the onions in the oil on medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cumin and saute' until cooked through.
- Add the green chiles, black beans, and enchilada sauce, and cook until warmed through.
- When the potatoes are finished baking, slice them in half. Scoop out just a little bit of the flesh to make room for the enchilada mixture.
- Place the chicken enchilada mixture on top. Add the cheese and put back into the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with more sauce and a dollop of sour cream.
Want more easy weeknight meals?
Want recipes delivered to your inbox? It’s Free! Plus as a thank you gift, you’ll receive my “Family Favorites” Cookbook