A classic comfort food tweaked into grown up style in an easy bite size appetizer, these Lobster Mac And Cheese Bites will rock your world!
I’m honored to partner with Milk Means More–United Dairy Industries of Michigan to bring you this post. All opinions are my own.
So, there’s a big game this weekend. Who are you routing for? Let’s just be honest, I don’t care about the game. Really, I don’t. What I care about is the food! And I’m sure there are some of you out there that agree.
It’s all about the food!
And these Lobster Mac and Cheese Bites will be the hit of your party. Tender chunks of lobster meat, creamy three cheese sauce (can I get an “Amen”?) baked with a topping of breadcrumbs for a little crunch. Mac and Cheese in a single bite? Are you kidding me? This is the perfect game day appetizer. I bet you can’t eat just one. 🙂
You know what I love about cheese? I mean, besides the amazing flavor and ooziness and all that. I love that something as decadent and comforting as cheese has health benefits too. Cheese contains calcium, protein, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B12. All these things are essential to good health.
So pass the cheese please!
So let’s talk about lobster. This recipe calls for a cup of lobster meat. You can purchase already cooked lobster meat from your grocery store, but, let me just tell you, it is really easy to cook lobster tails. Yes, I said lobster tails, not live lobster. 😉
I’m well aware that putting a live lobster in the back of your car might be a little creepy. The tails come frozen and are super easy to cook. Here’s what you do:
- Boil water
- Drop in the thawed lobster tails, return to a boil and cook 3 1/2 minutes
- remove the tails
Once you remove the tails, you can check for done-ness by looking at the underside of it. If the meat is white with no gray, it’s finished. It’s only taken 3 1/2 minutes every time I’ve done it. Superfast!
To remove the meat, turn the lobster over so the hard shell is up. Using a sharp knife, cut down the center lengthwise through the shell. You’ll be able to pull the meat right out of it.
So that’s your tutorial on cooking lobster tails. 🙂 How about we get on to the recipe for these scrumptious bites!
More Appetizer Recipes
- Game Day Appetizers
- BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Nachos
- Apple & Onion Tart
- BLT Salad on a Stick
- Peppermint Bark Popcorn
Lobster Mac and Cheese Bites
- mini muffin tin
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 cup lobster meat if cooking your own, you need about 3 lobster tails
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350.
To cook the lobster
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil over high heat
- Drop the lobster tails into the water, return to a boil and cook 3 1/2 minutes
- Turn off the heat and remove the lobster tails. You can let them cool for a few minutes. Cut lengthwise down the shell in half to remove the meat. Cut meat into chunks.
- In a large skillet, melt butter until bubbly.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and whisk into a paste.
- Slowly add milk and continue whisking until it comes to a simmer and thickens enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Reduce heat and add White cheddar and stir until melted, add sharp cheddar and stir until melted.
- Add nutmeg, stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl combine Pasta, cheese sauce and lobster, stir until mixed through.
- Spoon mac and cheese into a well greased mini muffin tin. Using a cookie scoop works great.
- Top the mac and cheese with a sprinkle of bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Serve immediately.