If you are craving the zesty kick of a Moscow Mule but want to keep it alcohol-free, my Virgin Moscow Mule recipe delivers! With fresh lime juice, muddled mint, and refreshing ginger beer, you'll enjoy all the tangy, spicy goodness without the vodka.
This 5-minute non-alcoholic Moscow Mule is the perfect drink for everyone to enjoy at your next holiday party or whenever you want a guilt-free drink to serve up in a hurry.
Challenge: Can you say Moscow Mule Mocktail ten times fast?
All silliness aside, the perfect non-alcoholic beverage requires just the right balance of sweet and sour notes. The fresh lime and sweet ginger in my virgin mule drink are just that. Pour the mixture into a beautiful copper mug over mint and crushed ice, and you have a refreshing beverage you can offer anyone!
If you know me, you know how much I enjoy making these alternative versions of my favorite drink recipes. So, if you are looking for more recipes to add to your holiday bash, try a few of my other non-alcoholic guilt-free drinks like this Cranberry Moscow Mule Mocktail, my Blood Orange Mimosa or this Apple Cider Mocktail. And I have plenty more where those came from. 😉
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Fast and Easy: This recipe shakes up in only 5 minutes, making it the ideal recipe for busy holidays or last-minute guests.
- Gorgeous Presentation: I love a beautiful drink to keep me feeling fancy! The copper mug and garnish take this beverage recipe over the top, don't you think?
- Guilt-free: Not only is this an alcohol-free Moscow mule, but it is lower in sugar than most cocktails!
- Lime- You will need lime wedges, slices and lime juice for this mocktail recipe. Fresh is best! Skip the bottle and grab a fresh lime.
- Fresh Mint- Fresh mint leaves are crushed to release the oils and add that minty fresh flavor. You can also add a sprig to garnish your cup.
- Crushed Ice- Crushed ice helps distribute the coldness faster in your mug and creates that frosty condensation on the outside of the mug- irresistible!
- Ginger Beer- My go-to is Reeds Zero Sugar Extra ginger beer for the best spicy ginger beer flavor. However, you can use the original version or another brand of your choice.
How to Make this Moscow Mule Mocktail Recipe
This is an overview of the instructions, be sure to see the recipe card for all the details.
- Squeeze lime juice into the bottom of the mug, keeping any seeds out. Slice the remaining half for the garnish.
- Add torn mint leaves to lime juice.
- using a muddle, gently press the leaves to release the oils. If you do not have a muddler, you can use the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Fill the cup ⅔ of the way with crushed ice and pour in the ginger beer and gently stir. Garnish with a lime slice, and fresh mint leaves and serve!
This Non-alcoholic Moscow Mule is just as tasty as the traditional Moscow Mule cocktail version and is so much healthier! I just know you are going to love it.
- Choose Quality Ingredients: Start with high-quality ginger beer. Look for one with a real ginger flavor and a bit of spice. Brands like Reeds, Fever-Tree, Q, and Bundaberg are good choices.
- Chill - Ginger beer, and limes should be cold before making the mocktail for the best crisp, refreshing drink. You can chill the mugs too if you like.
- Copper mugs are traditional and keep the drink cold however, you can put this drink in any beverage glass you like.
- Crushed ice helps keep the beverage cold and evenly distributed, but any ice works.
Variations for Your Virgin Mule Recipe
- This is a very versatile drink. You can adjust the amount of lime or mint based on your preferences.
- Many Moscow mule recipes use a simple syrup to sweeten the drink. I feel ginger beer is sweet enough.
- Add an ounce of orange juice or pineapple juice for to change up the flavor. Cucumber slices are refreshing too.
- Use a few pomegranate arils or fresh cranberries to add that festive touch for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can, but it won't have the same bold and spicy flavor as ginger beer. Ginger beer is recommended for a more authentic Moscow Mule taste.
It's a traditional and visually appealing choice. The cold metal acts as an insulator for the drink and keeps it cold and refreshing.
This one is best fresh, so mix it up by the glass. It only takes a few minutes to make.
Drink this one immediately. If for some reason you can't finish it, you can put it in the fridge, but it does lose the fizz pretty quickly.
You May Also Like
Your shares are how this site grows, and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe?
I’d love it if you shared it on your favorite Pinterest board or Facebook! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ rating! TIA 🥰
You can also follow along on YouTube and Instagram!
Virgin Moscow Mule
- Moscow Mule Mugs
- Cocktail spoon for stirring
- 1 lime cut into quarters
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- 8 ounces ginger beer
- Lime slices and additional mint for optional garnish
- Squeeze 2 quarters of the lime into the bottom of the glass.
- Tear and add the mint leaves, and using a muddle, gently press the leaves to release the oils.
- Fill the glass ⅔rds of the way with crushed ice.
- Pour in the ginger beer and gently stir.
- Garnish with a lime slice, wedge, and/or fresh mint leaves.
- You can add 1 ounce of alcohol free vodka if you choose. Alternatively you can add a splash of apple cider vinegar for that ‘bite’ you get to replace the vodka. Personally, I feel the ginger beer has enough bite on its own.
- I used Reeds Zero Sugar Extra ginger beer. You can use the original version or another brand of your choice. Q is also a good brand.
- If you don’t have a muddle, you can use the end of a wooden spoon to muddle the mint. Alternatively, you can tear the leaves, but pressing them is what releases the oils and flavor.
- This recipe is made with Reeds zero sugar ginger beer, however the nutrition calculator does not have that product, therefore the sugar shown in this recipe is not accurate.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter to have recipes delivered to your inbox and to stay up to date on the latest!